Getting Down To Action
Career planning timetable for final-year and postgraduate students.
- Familiarise yourself with the services offered by your careers service.
- Look at computer guidance software, such as Prospects Planner, in your careers service.
- Browse the first destination returns (FDRs) available from your careers service, and speak to alumni to get information about what graduates from your course went on to do.
- Attend relevant careers workshops, such as career planning, CVs, interviews and job hunting.
- If you're a certificate/diploma/ordinary degree student and are considering progression on to an honors degree, investigate advanced entry procedures and deadlines for each college.
- Research postgraduate opportunities and funding, and talk to course co-ordinators of study programmes that interest you.
- Contact your postgraduate studies office regarding further study options and funding.
Research the job market
- Attend employer presentations.
- Check milk round vacancies advertised to final-year students by your careers service.
- Update your CV!
- Arrange to see a careers adviser to review your CV, undertake some interview skills coaching and brush up your presentation skills.
- Attend your own institutiona's careers fair
Get a job!
- Attend any final employer presentations and careers fairs.
- Keep an eye on local and national newspapers.
- Contact professional bodies.
- Develop a hit-list and job search plan for making speculative applications to companies.
- Apply for jobs using this website and your own careers service.