- Search Graduate Jobs
- Browse Employers
- Careers Advice
- Malaysia's 100
- Log in
- Sign up
Getting Down To Action
Everyone loves an action plan, right?
Action plans are useful – they give you some idea of what you’re meant to be doing, and when you’re meant to be doing it. Here's what you should be doing during your time at university to ultimately secure yourself that dream job.
In first year, you should...
- Use the self-assessment tools mentioned in How To Identify Where Your Career Interests Lie.
- Be active in extra-curricular activities to develop soft skills, meet people and network.
- Start recording achievements for your résumé.
In second year, you should...
- Attend career talks to help you decide on your career choice.
- Take relevant electives or extra courses to enrich your knowledge; get to know some professors or supervisors who you can work well with and invite them to be your referees.
- Keep track of your personal development plan and reassess yourself against your career choice to see if it is a good match.
- Reflect on your achievements and update and finalise your résumé; prepare your transcripts, testimonials and covering letter template; obtain reference letters from your referees.
- Try securing an internship!
In final year, you should...
- Familiarise yourself with the services offered by your careers service.
- Browse the first destination returns (FDRs) available from your careers service, and speak to alumni to get information about what graduates from your course went on to do.
- Attend relevant careers workshops, such as career planning, CVs, interviews and job hunting.
- Learn how to job-hunt and continue networking with your contacts.
- Start buying interview clothes!
Research the job market
- Check milk round vacancies advertised to final-year students by your careers service.
- Update your résumé!
- Arrange to see a careers adviser to review your résumé, undertake some interview skills coaching and brush up your presentation skills.
Get a job!
- Attend any final employer presentations and careers fairs.
- Keep an eye on local and national newspapers.
- Develop a hit-list and job search plan for making speculative applications to companies.
- Apply for jobs! Nowadays, there are so many different ways to do so – gradmalaysia.com is one of them!