- Search Graduate Jobs
- Browse Employers
- Careers Advice
- Log in
- Sign up
Life On The Job: Event Executive
Chia Yi gives us a glimpse into her working life as an event executive.
What will I do?
- Receive projects assigned by organisers and understand their demands
- Cooperate with internal departments such as design, project, sales and production departments to ensure the exhibition booth design and construction services are up to clients’ satisfaction
- Manage and liaise with partners and suppliers to effectively execute every event
- Handle multiple deadlines and schedules
- Report regularly to direct superior on the progress of projects
Is it for me?
- Are you meticulous and independent, and at the same time, a team player?
- Do you have good organisational, analytical and problem-solving skills?
- Do you have good interpersonal and communication skills?
- Are you able to multitask?
- Are you willing to face challenges?
- Are you able to work under pressure?
- Are you willing to work overtime?
What is the most enjoyable part of the job?
Although every event only lasts for a few hours to a few days, it actually needs more than a month of preparation. It is enjoyable when the events run smoothly and when your hard work and efforts get recognised by the organiser and your superiors. There was this one time when I helped a company set up a special design booth for a concert and I was sponsored to watch a Jay Chou concert for free. I think that was the most exciting experience that I have experienced within my eight months in this career!
One challenging aspect of this job is the fact that I have to be meticulous and well-prepared before the event day. At the same time, I have to possess good interpersonal skills to handle different types of people. Another challenge is when an unpredictable situation pops up during the event setup day; this usually requires last minute improvisation.
Who will employ me?
Events companies typically offer exhibition booth design and construction services to customers, be it locally or internationally. Employment opportunities that are available for fresh graduates include positions within design teams, sales and marketing teams and project teams. There are full-time and part-time opportunities as construction workers as well, depending on the event company.
How much will I earn?
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite
- Good command of English, Chinese and Malay
- Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop, AutoCAD or other design software
A word of advice
Be energetic, patient, and willing to learn.