Golden Screen Cinemas Sdn Bhd
Manager, Recruitment & Training
Degree in Business Administration, 2008
Has been with the company for
How has the covid pandemic affected your graduate recruitment efforts?
Fortunately, our graduate recruitment efforts weren’t affected as we continue to hire in preparation for the reopening of our cinemas. Many more vacancies are available for our Trainee Cinema Assistant Manager programme, widely known as Management Trainee (MT) Programmes.
In our MT programmes, we train, upskill, and empower fresh and junior employees in cinemas across the country for a future role in our Cinema Management Team.
How would you advise a candidate to make a good impression during a virtual interview?
- Always ensure your devices and internet are functioning well. A laggy network connection will interrupt your interview session.
- Dress professionally to project confidence. This is the key to ensuring a great first impression.
- Attend your interview at a space with a clean and uncluttered background for a more professional appeal. Otherwise, use a simple virtual background.
- Familiarise yourself with the selected interview virtual platform beforehand, which will be helpful should an unexpected situation arise or if you are asked to navigate the application.
What is the one skill (or quality) you think is more important for fresh grads to have now compared to pre-pandemic times?
With the pandemic, it is important to be adaptable to this new normal. There will be conditions that we can't avoid, as well as constant changes. Hence, it is important to be able to adapt to overcome these challenges.
Being able to expand your abilities, as well as keep up with the fast pace of a fully digital environment is key.
How would you recommend students increase their chances of landing a job in our tough times?
- Reach out to as many recruiters through the various job searching platforms, including job portals, recruitment agencies, and LinkedIn. The reason for this is that different employers may reach out across different platforms when hiring.
- Be honest. Recruiters are experienced in evaluating people and can tell whether you are being genuine in your application and interview.
- Most job seekers tend to only share their personal reasons for seeking a job. It is important to also consider answers to questions like “What are you able to offer for the position?”. That way you’re demonstrating how you are a good fit for the company and the position you applied for.
How feasible and/or effective are non-face-to-face internships? How has your organisation prepared for this?
As an organisation, we subscribe to Microsoft 365 for Business, which provides us with a platform for the effective communication, sharing, and storing of files. This has helped resolve many issues where face-to-face communication and business were not possible.